View Single Post
Old 24-Nov-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
navagator

Advice on whether to purchase a new antenna or not

Hello,

First of all, here is my TvFool signal analysis:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aed217075afd

And here is my antenna system:
I have a Radio Shack VU-160 VHF/UHF antenna mounted approximately 33' in the air on a 3 piece telescoping pushup pole. Connected to the antenna is the outside part of my Archer 15-1108 amplifier.
From there I have a 50' section of coaxial cable ( no identification is printed on the side of this coax but Archer is imprinted on the molded end ), which is connected to another 50 foot section of Channel Master 9540 coax
via a barrel connector. This section of coax hooks up to the inside portion of the amplifier.
I have a small jumper from the preamplifier to a A/B switch, then a small jumper to my LG LST-4200A HD OTA tuner.

Okay, the main channel that I watch is channel 13.3 - WHO (AntennaTV)
Generally I get a fairly stable signal from WHO but at times I do have signal drop outs. Usually not that bad, but on occasion the signal drop outs can be quite frequent and very irritating.
I would also like to receive channel 8 - KCCI. They have a METV feed that
I would enjoy, however for some reason I can't get KCCI at all.

My rotor has been failing for some time now and this fall it just basically wore out, so I purchased a new one. Unfortunately due to my fear of heights I can't get up on the roof and change it out, so I'll have to find someone to help me with this. And I'm mulling over whether to keep the antenna and amplifier I currently have or purchase a new antenna and amplifier.

According to my TvFool report I have a -11.5NM for WHO. My antenna has a gain of 7.8 for channel 13. This would only bring my NM to a -3.7. If I raise my antenna another 10 foot I would bring my NM to a -7.1 which
after I add my antenna gain would bring me just slightly into the plus area. Now, from what I understand my amplifier isn't the best amp. My manual says it has a gain of up to 26db but I believe I read somewhere that it has a noise figure of 6db. I'm not sure how that figures in to the equation.
The amp does seem to be helping me at the current time though, with
the amp on I show about a 50% signal, with the amp off my signal drops to about 25% and I have no picture.

As you can see from the pictures below, one of the VHF elements on my current antenna has came unlatched and has folded back against the boom and the upper wing of the UHF reflector has also came loose and is resting on the top of the boom.

Would my current antenna and amplifier work better for me if I fix the elements and raise it up another 10' or would it be better to purchase a new antenna and preamp?

I've been looking at the Winegard 8200U, it has a gain of 12db on channel 13 which should put me at a + 4.9 at 43' in the air. Would I need an amplifier with this antenna? If so, what size amp would I need?

Thanks in advance for your help.

navagator is offline   Reply With Quote