View Single Post
Old 25-Nov-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

Starting over with antennas etc. UPDATE 11-29 HELP! 2 antennas different directions

First thanks for the opportunity to post. I've spent days looking her and researching trying to solve my issues once and for all.

The obligatory link to the TV Fool report.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae0e1c99ba4d

Image of same -

A look at WDAF out of KC, which is the objective in the KC long range area.

Current setup

History and ramblings:

Obviously having some reception issues and looking to get it dialed in. Background – I have 2 primary towns that provide OTA signals to me. Closest is about 40 – 60 miles as there are a cluster of broadcasters to the East in the Columbia/Jefferson City, MO areas (UHF and a couple VHF-HB that I would like). (Yes there is the PBS to the ESE, but you can get that with no antenna). Then Kansas City which is West 70 – 78 miles (all UHF). The original setup was a 50’ tower with Winegard 7689 with Winegard preamp hand pointed to Kansas City. Then 6’ or so below a Winegard 7697 with Winegard preamp. Then about a 150’ – 160’ of RG6 all with crimp fittings into a Winegard signal combiner CC-7870. That went into a cheapie 4-way splitter. Each antenna by itself worked great.

Well, that worked for a while but the issue was the combiner could not seem to figure out which signal to push and if I wanted to get something to “work” I had to take the combiner out. I then blindly tried – and quickly failed – at trying to bring some “balance” to the situation via a Winegard HDA200 24dB Distribution Amplifier (HDA-200). I had bought 2 and ended up trying one on either antenna before the combiner and tried to vary it with NO SUCCESS. So, the combiner and distribution amps sit gathering dust, but are rapidly available if needed.

Meanwhile signals continue to decline. To heck with that, let’s take all the antennas off, take the top off the tower and go 10’ higher and put everything back again. Signals were better and basically left it at that and have gone to just using KC antenna and the smaller one remains mostly idle. Took a surge somewhere along the way last winter and both pre-amps ate it. So replaced those with advise of somebody that said I needed just a UHF preamp for Columbia. (Wrong – now I’m out my VHF in that direction).

Oh and I just bought (yeah I know why do I keep tossing $ at this?) multi-port signal amplifiers for each antenna Channel Master. This was to take out the signal sapping cheapie splitter and this has bumped signals up across the board. Only tried on main antenna.
I should also note that my tower is also used for wireless internet. Meaning I lease my tower out to wireless provider and get free wireless internet in the bargain. That uses a fixed receiver and out the top is a dipolar antenna that covers a couple miles out. Hence my antennas are fixed and not able or wanting to go rotor.

This is what I am thinking. Now that I have spent hours researching.
• Take off small Winegard to Columbia, place on shelf in shop.
• Bring large Winegard VHF/UHF down 6’ off the top and spin it around to Columbia/Jefferson City and bring along the preamp to once again push UHF/VHF and that should solve that issue. But how to combine?
• On order is a UHF only antenna Antennas Direct 91XG UHF TV Antenna and I intend to bring the UHF only preamp up and hook to that. Now then I can try to set antenna based upon my weakest signal being the 4.1 WDAF. Does this sound good so far? Hoping I get a better overall signal.
• Probably need to replace crimp connections with compression? And check for corrosion. But all the exterior connections have the rubber boots on them, so I would like to think that is not the problem.
• Any chance of combining these signals successfully after that? I’m thinking that KC being UHF boosted only I won’t be getting a lot from the backside of the antenna? Then try the combiner again? Is that even possible? I’m presuming for more research I am just amusing myself with this thought.
• Is there a way to “split” the UHF/VHF outputs on the lower antenna? If so, could I then use UVSJ to combine the upper and lower UHF antennas and then have the VHF come into the house and then take the UHF and VHF into the combiner at that point?
• IF I could get KC to be super reliable then I guess I could forget the 2 VHF-HB signals to the East. And combine two 91XG’s going in different directions? Would I face problems as one may be stronger than the other? Or does the 91XG pic up well on the backside as well. The Winegard 7689, does a pretty good job picking up the opposite direction now, would that improved? If so, then maybe combine the below thought or just UVSJ the lower Winegard backwards and take the UHF out and then combine the VHR signal with another UVSJ to bring in the 91XG’s UHF.
• Are there any long range VHF only’s out there? Winegard HD5030 – 2-13pro star vhf only? Would that work? Presuming I could find one. Antennacraft by RadioShack Y5-7-13
• Not fond of tearing up my entire house trying to get 2 cables to each tv and having an A/B switch.
• Oh there are channels to the South, but I’m not concerned with those.
• I’ve attached the TV Fool link. Can’t seem to figure out the create a link to the Interactive Map. So I took a picture of it showing main channel of concern and placed basic data below as well as current config.

Last edited by Flint Ridge; 29-Nov-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Flint Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote