View Single Post
Old 3-Aug-2014, 4:54 PM   #6
sd121

Thank you for responding to my post and helping me sort this out.

If all I can get is in the green that would be ok since the majors are there (CW, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, and PBS). As I look at the azimuth in the report most of the stations are line of sight at about 240 degrees (239-241). The two odd-balls (KFTY at 263 degrees and KTNC at 228 degrees) I don’t care about.

There are a couple stations in the yellow that would be nice (like KICU on 36 and KQEH on 50). Although these have significantly higher signal strength than the red, they are far less important to me. They are also at their own azimuth (227 degrees) so I’m not sure they are worth the effort.

It would be a complete home run to get the green stations above together with some of the first half of the reds that seem to all be coming from 231 degrees such as KGO on 7, KPIX on 29, KOFY on 19, KQED on 30, KRON on 38, and KTVU on 44.

Is it possible to set the direction for 231 degrees (assuming roof mount and an amplifier) and still be able to pick-up the stronger signals at 239-241?

Out of curiosity, is the reason why most of the reds are “2Edge” instead of line of sight because of the type of transmitter they use for those signals? Just interested in trying to learn more about this stuff.

I do have the ability to go a little higher with the antenna if that is helpful. I didn’t see much of a difference in the signal report even if I went crazy with the height. And as I mentioned before there is no real way I would be able to get above the trees.

Since trees can have such an impact would different positions on the roof have more of an impact than the extra height? Please let me know if there is anything in particular I can do to limit or lessen the impact of the trees.

As a frame of reference I tried to post an image of the area showing the trees, but images don't seem to be insertable here.

Thank you so much for your help.
sd121 is offline   Reply With Quote