View Single Post
Old 26-Mar-2010, 4:19 PM   #4
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Thank you for reposting: this report works! Well, Channel 7 won't be too hard, although it is a bit weak, but since it is on VHF, it won't mess with your KC stations, which are all on UHF. I would definitely use either a Winegard YA-1713 or an AntennaCraft Y-10-7-13 aimed at 305 degrees to pick it up, and I would use a Channel Master Titan 7777 preamplifier to combine the two antennas: VHF and UHF, since the Titan 7777 has separate VHF and UHF inputs.

KMIZ is another issue: it's 83 miles from your location, and well over the horizon. While is shows a slightly positive noise margin at your location, that signal is going to be fragile, and most likely to be subject to atmospheric interference at times, so we need to approach this station a bit differently. While the Winegard HD-8800 has terrific gain at low UHF frequencies, it also has a pretty broad beamwidth at channel 17, which is KMIZ's digital channel. Since we will be talking about having 3 antennas in this mast,I am going to suggest going with an AntennasDirect XG-91 for KMIZ, aimed at 115 degrees and inserted into the cabling system using a Channel Master JoinTenna tuned to specifically receive channel 17. That device is still available on special order from SummitSource.com.

I know that a lot has been bantered about concerning the XG-91 on low UHF frequencies, but I will tell you that it has great directionality at channel 17 and still has 11.5 dB gain at that frequency. When you consider the sheer number of necessary antennas for your array, and the necessary antenna spacing involved, I honestly believe that the XG-91 is your best bet in this situation.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote