View Single Post
Old 8-Jul-2018, 7:05 PM   #17
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavochin View Post
I also have the wife HOA factor, who says no antenna outside and doesn't care about what the FCC says

You guys think I can get away with an antenna mounted in the attic?
Ah, yes; we have encountered that before. We call it the WAF (Wife Acceptance/Approval Factor). It's a result of the nesting instinct for the survival of the human race. The home is the "nest," so she gets to say what is right for the home, even in the "Man Cave."

The physical laws say the antenna must be located where the signals exist; the wife says the antenna must be located where it looks "nice."

"The King lives in the Castle at the discretion of the Queen."

I'm lucky. I have a wife who not only tolerates my antenna experiments, but encourages them because she wanted a battery operated TV for use during power failures. She even gave me a signal level meter as a present to measure TV signals.

Fortunately, your signals are quite strong and in the same direction, so I agree with Tower Guy; an attic antenna has a good chance of working if there are no metal object in front of it.

These are your signals:

My signals are very similar:

I am able to receive all major networks with an indoor antenna on the ground floor with trees and buildings in the signal path.

I am using this antenna:

I lent it to a friend, but she wasn't able to get any signals during a channel scan with the antenna indoors because her house has aluminum siding.

I also tested a more sturdy version suitable for outdoors with similar results:

Both require assembly.

When I was through testing the GE 29884, my wife said: "Don't put it away, I like the curve of the reflector."

My antenna is in the corner of the bedroom, which is the second-best location; the best location was, of course, in the middle of the room in a high traffic area. There is usually a chair in front of it to hide the orange Home Depot paint bucket, which is filled with old magazines as weights. The bucket is sitting on a 3/4" plywood base that has leveling-screw feet to make the mast vertical because the concrete slab under the carpet isn't level.

I also suggest you try the RCA ANT751 in the attic at several different locations. Wear gloves when unfolding the elements; some are sharp and covered with oil. If the signals are too weak, add the RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp, which is what I use with my indoor antenna, but my strongest signals are OK without it. Buy the preamp from Walmart, not Amazon; Amazon sometimes sends out Warehouse Specials that are returns that have a DOA power supply because they haven't been checked out.

If the RCA ANT751 doesn't have enough gain for the attic location, upgrade to the Winegard HD7694P antenna.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alavochinTVFreport.JPG (132.4 KB, 1531 views)
File Type: jpg My Report 7-8-2018.JPG (132.5 KB, 1538 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 9-Jul-2018 at 1:33 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote