View Single Post
Old 16-Jul-2017, 4:52 AM   #1
saddleback

Antenna for Apartment Balcony in Orange County

Thanks for your advice in advance.

I recently moved into an apartment complex in southeast Orange County and didn’t realize that I was moving to an area that was difficult to receive OTA TV from the LA Stations because of terrain challenges.

Here is the link to my TV Fool Report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4b458708825

The channels I am hoping to get are 7 (ABC), 11 (FOX), 9 (KCAL), 36 (NBC), 43 (CBS), 48 (PBS). The other channels are not very important to us.

Due to apartment regulations, I can only have a tripod mounted antenna on the balcony or an indoor antenna. The attached photo shows my second-floor balcony on the left. It seems from the report the channels I am looking to receive from the Mt Wilson transmitters are at 314 degrees magnetic north. I believe my compass tells me that I would need to point the antenna in-between the 1st tree at the forefront of the picture and the side of the apartment building. The cable run from the TV to the antenna would be approximately 15ft.

The indoor antenna that I currently own is a Terk HDTVAZ, it has worked well at our last couple of houses but due to the terrain challenges I think I need to pursue an outside antenna. The Terk antenna is similar to this one sold on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Terk-HDTVAZ-A.../dp/B0007MXZB2. With the current indoor Terk antenna we can barely receive channel 11 (Fox LA) at night or channel 10 (ABC San Diego) at night.

I recently finished grad school so we are on a budget, but do you think there would be an outdoor antenna I could put on my balcony that could pull in the TV stations we would like to receive? I think I can buy a cheap used tripod that would work for an antenna off of craigslist or I could jerry-rig something together. We are hoping to avoid paying for Sling TV, Direct TV Now, cable, etc.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV Fool Balcony Post Picture.jpg (197.2 KB, 616 views)
saddleback is offline   Reply With Quote