View Single Post
Old 9-Feb-2017, 6:09 PM   #41
jrgagne99

Tropospheric propogation?

Lately I've been trying to pull in WFFF (Fox affiliate), which has a NM=-5.8 dB on my Tvfool report (borderline "extreme measures required"). I'm well aware of the difficulties of pulling in a 2+ edge signal 70.5 miles away. Well, this past Saturday in preparation for the Super Bowl, I vertically stacked two SolidSignal HDB8x's, walked the roof to find a "hot-spot", and finally had success!, sort of... I was able to receive WFFF all night Saturday, into the afternoon on Sunday, and then by 2pm, the signal was gone. Bummer, no Superbowl from the comfort of my own living room...

Anyway, I have two questions about this situation:

1) Given that reception lasted for 20+ hours could this have been a "tropospheric" reception phenomenon? I haven't re-established reception since it went out, but it's because the wind blew the antenna out of position on Sunday night and then it snowed later, so I haven't been able to climb up on the roof to re-aim it and secure things better. I am sure that it was not a change in aim that caused LOS on Sunday afternoon.

2) The combined capture area of my two stacked HDB8x's 1728 sq-in. This is exactly the same area as a single DB8e. Do you guys think a single DB8e will perform as well (or maybe even better) than my stacked HDB8X setup?

Thanks in advance, as always.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 9-Feb-2017 at 6:27 PM.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote