View Single Post
Old 8-Sep-2011, 4:28 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

*** SPOILER ALERT *** Sept 29, 2011 ***SPOILER ALERT ***
This thread turns into an example of how easy it is to draw a conclusion and then develop 'tunnel vision'. When trouble shooting a perplexing problem and finding yourself 'stumped', it can be helpful to challenge any early conclusions. In this case, the early conclusion was that the new coax 'can't be bad'.

I've 'been there, done that' several times... In fact I met my wife working on a telco circuit that had several separate physical faults and multiple maladjustments. With each new trouble source proven, it was very easy to question, 'did we misdiagnose the previous bad part?' Lesson, there can be more than one fault, and it's easy to assume right past a problem.
*** END SPOILER ALERT ***

Original Sept 8 post follows:

Both recommendations are worth considering.

TG's plan offers the most channels but adds cost and a bit of complexity (the A/B switch).

JC's plan offers simplicity (no A/B switching) but you may not see a few channels. The suggested aim point is a good starting point, you'd want to adjust left and right to be sure you have the best overall aim (like most, a compromise).

If it were just me, I'd go with multiple antennas. My wife has trouble with 'more gadgets' so she would vote me down. My wife has more votes than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkaloo View Post
So I wouldn't need a rotator on it as it will be stationary or you always use one for convenience? And what about VHF channels? One more thing, wouldn't I point to 130 degrees where the closer stations are? Guess I'm confused.....
A rotator is a valid option that works best when only one TV is connected. If that is your situation, use the larger 7-69 antenna (I lean toward the Winegard HD7968P). A few people choose to install one antenna for each TV when a rotator is required.

If you choose JC's plan, try the compromise aim suggested to begin with, but you may also explore aiming north. The signals are weaker from the north so the forward gain of the antenna may give you reception of the weaker northerly stations while still receiving the stronger signals through the back of the antenna. Again, aim point should be fine tuned in the field.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 29-Sep-2011 at 4:53 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote