View Single Post
Old 2-Feb-2015, 4:57 PM   #19
kojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
One can never have too many antennas.

The Antennas Direct DB8E uses a custom strip-line/balun instead of a classic transformer/balun. The AD balun is a bit more efficient than the older technology but only in the UHF band. Given that the antenna was only intended to cover the post 2009 UHF band, I think they did the right thing... squeezing all the UHF only performance they could from the new design.

DIY antennas often use the older style transformer/balun (though I'm sure there are builders that come up with alternate methods to couple the antenna to the down-lead). The classic transformer/balun is broad-band in nature, covering all the VHF and UHF bands as well ad the FM band. It's still a good option when that bandwidth is needed.

Then there's the older Antennas Direct DB8 (not to be confused with the newer DB8E) an older design that needed to cover a wider UHF band. A very good UHF antenna, but not quite as much gain as the newer product. Not a failure of design, but physics dictate that you'll sacrifice a bit of gain if you design for broader bandwidth.

Bottom line, there are some similarities and some significant differences between the real Antennas Direct product and similar looking 'knock-offs' of the design.

The CS5 could be described as a medium range High-VHF antenna that indecently proved to have usable UHF capability at relatively short ranges. https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...with%20uhf.pdf The peak gain of 7.63 dBi converts to 5.48 dBd

The Antennacraft Y10713 has higher gain and could be described as a fringe to deep fringe High-VHF antenna. I know of no consumer grade option that offers equal or greater gain at present... The discontinued Winegard YA1713 was a head to head competitor. http://www.antennacraft.com/pdfs/Y10-7-13.pdf Antennacraft's specs are not clear as to whether they are based on peak gain, so I'll err on the side of caution and presume that to be the case. Their spec of 9.4 dBd is just shy of 4 dB greater than the CS5... not earth shattering, but significant.

Reliable reception often depends more on the mounting height and location than any other single factor.
thanks for the info. that was very helpful. So in theory, could I simply swap out the custom strip-line/balun for a classic transformer/balun and I would then be receiving UHF and VHF? Just wondering at this point.

I m going to try the DB8 in place of the C2 for my UHF and see what that does as I am not getting 29 or 15 right now and I think those should be easy to get.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote