View Single Post
Old 18-Feb-2016, 5:14 PM   #1
Pay_No_More

Seeking advice for improving OTA setup - in NOVA

Requesting your advice to improve the reception of TV signals, at my Northern Virginia (NOVA) home. After living in my neighborhood for more than 26 years I have given up cable TV and desire to Pay No More for free TV! We finally realized that we watch much more broadcast TV then cable offerings. As such, I have given up paying $141.00 per month for providing HD TV service w/ a rental DVR and Internet service through the cable company. I now have the phone company providing both landline phone and internet services at a very good rate, "locked in" for the next two years. This gives me savings, out the gate, of more than $130.00 per month.

In order to watch Super Bowl 50 for free, I made a quick installation of a gable mount with a vhf/uhf antenna at the highest point on the back of my house. Prior to finding this forum I purchased a Channel Master CM-2018 antenna, and am able to receive some of my desired TV stations. My results are not yet satisfactory. I had to "off point" the antenna about 180 degrees to receive CBS (RF 9) with consistently good signal strength. Had no problem watching the game, the HD signal received was as good or better than cable. However, my current setup does not allow me to receive all desired signals and I have signal quality issues in wind and rain conditions.

Here it is - My TV Fool Report

My current setup is:
- CM-2018 antenna --> (mast is grounded with #10AWG solid copper wire to house utility ground)
- 25 feet of RG-6 cable -->
- TII network technologies TII 212 in-line coax surge protector (grounded in old cable interface box) -->
- ~10 feet of RG-6 Cable (penetrates exterior wall) -->
- 2 way splitter --> From the splitter approximately 25 feet of RG-6 to wall plate at my primary TV (with signal meter function built-in) then 6 feet of coax to TV input. Basement TV has about 40 feet of RG-6 (w/ one in-line cable to cable connector) to the TV input. (Total runs of: ~ 66 ft of cable to primary TV, ~ 75 ft of cable to basement TV)
I have attached a "photo" (Antenna Placement Options) showing the current antenna installation and the optional / alternate location. This photo shows the challenges I have with both nearby and more distant trees that obstruct signal reception. I do realize that it is currently winter and there are no leaves on these trees.

Also attached is a .pdf (CM-2018 Pointing Sig Strength Record) showing my testing results of the antenna at the "desired/current location" on the back of the house, at the highest location. The current location is my preferred location as I think it gives the least objectionable visible installation location, to those who may not care for antennas. The .pdf also identifies my most desired stations to receive (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, MyNetwork, and ION) and other stations received plus their received signal strength. (Signal strength is determined by "meter" function in my primary TV. Steady signals above 50-60 in strength are received with good quality. If I can make an antenna work at this location, that would be preferred!

However, I do prefer a functioning antenna and will consider moving it to the alternative location (over my garage with less nearby tree blockage); if necessary to receive consistent strong signal quality. Using the alternate location would add cable length from the antenna to the "old cable interface" of at least another 25 feet.

I think my next moves are; repoint antenna at ~ 44-45 degrees, install CM 7778 pre-amp with power inserter in home where the cable currently meets signal splitter. Adding a pre-amp will also add a short cable on the antenna, and a short cable between the power inserter and the existing signal splitter.

Any ideas on steps I need to take to make receiving the desired stations consistently reliable? I will consider returning the antenna and installing a different / more capable unit. The current/preferred location does "look through" both nearby tree and distant trees. The alternate location does have distant trees to "look through" and does "look" over a cherry tree by my driveway.

Thank you for looking at this setup!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antenna Placement Options.jpg (107.5 KB, 844 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CM-2018 Pointing_Sig_Strength Record.pdf (51.6 KB, 890 views)

Last edited by Pay_No_More; 18-Feb-2016 at 7:46 PM.
Pay_No_More is offline   Reply With Quote