View Single Post
Old 24-Jan-2017, 10:16 PM   #10
dragons021

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Absolutely a concern. ATSC requires about a 35 dB difference in co-channel signal strength in order to resolve the stronger signal. If both channels are strong enough that the required differential is not achieved, then reception for both will fail. The CBS stations out of New York city and Hartford both operate on UHF channel 33 and are calculated to be of nearly identical signal power. If you go "reflector-less" and the actual signals correspond to the TVF simulation, you will get neither station's primary broadcast. Note that WCBS does operate a UHF translator halfway up Long Island, so there is a second chance for that station.
Thanks for the data on the DB4e. I tried putting the brakes on tomorrow's install to get a DB4e delivered (installer doesn't stock it), but it didn't work out. I'm going to continue with the original plan of testing the CS4/Televes vs. a suggested antenna (winegard?) from the installer tomorrow. I'll have him install the best solution (based on my testing, I'm fairly confident it will be functional without leaves on the trees) and then I'll revisit when in the spring when the leaves grow back.

Regarding co-channels, I show the following:

WFSB CBS 33 3.1 44
WCBSCBS 33 2.1 243

CBS comes in strong and clear from L.I. with the CS4 pointed at NYC or Hartford, so I'm not too worried about these cancelling out. When I ran my signal test from the breezeway roof, the app said channel 2.1 came in pretty strong - but I don't know if this was a false positive, because I wasn't in position to try to tune it on a TV.

WTIC FOX 31 61.1 46
WPXN ION 31 31.1 243

ION on 31 is a concern for blocking Fox, they're not 35db apart. This may force me into the 2 antenna solution as I'd like both Fox stations if at all possible.

WHCT 38 75
WWOR MyN 38 9.1 243

I get an easier to tune MyN station, so not too worried about 38. Not sure what programming WHCT offers or if I'll miss it.

I have a ton of co-channel interference. How much of a concern is this?

Last edited by dragons021; 24-Jan-2017 at 10:19 PM.
dragons021 is offline   Reply With Quote