Thread: Outdoor Antenna
View Single Post
Old 12-Jul-2017, 9:46 PM   #15
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
I've seen spots on my roof lose half the channels and only be 15 feet from where it is now.
Very true.
Quote:
Your installer may not want to do that, but honestly it's how I would do it.
Good advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyoon View Post
According to him, he has seen that signal was strong enough to pick up even from Los angels which is about 100 miles north.
That CAN happen during a Tropospheic Propagation event, but not all the time because of the curvature of the earth which will block the signals. That has nothing to do with the reliability of local signals.
Quote:
My only worry is that my installation guy might charge more for multiple antenna install.
Has your installer given you a guarantee of good reception, or is he just going to put the antenna where he wants it without any consideration of reliable reception?

You need two antennas, a VHF antenna for KFMB and KGTV at 175 degrees magnetic, and one for UHF for KSWB, KPBS, and KNSD at 138 degrees magnetic.

If you want to go cheap, the MCM 30-2476 for VHF, the Solid Signal HDB91X for UHF, and the RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp.

I suggested the Antennas Direct DB8E because it has more gain at the low end of UHF than the 91XG or HDB91X where channels will be moving after repack. KNSD will be moving to channel 17 in a few years; you could buy another antenna then if necessary.

Quote:
If I buy a outdoor antenna, can i at least get the channels on the red?
You have a good chance of getting the red ones down to KNSD if there is nothing in the signal path to block them.

Last edited by rabbit73; 12-Jul-2017 at 10:48 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote