View Single Post
Old 9-Jan-2012, 8:49 PM   #13
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Understood. I just hope that the 12 hours that my phenomena persisted are the last 12 hours of it that I see. It has not happened before or since. I personally cannot blame my setup for something that reared its head for such a brief span of time, that's all.
All I would suggest is, be on guard against assumptions.

Quote:
Have I just been lucky?
Quite possibly.

Quote:
#1. Do the lengths of RG6 from both of my antennas need to be the same, even though the DB8 is just outside the room where the TV is located?
Changing coax length would likely 'fix' one problem at the expense of causing trouble for other channels.

Quote:
#2. Should I be using something other than just a reverse-split method to combine the antennae?
Excellent question. There are more effective and reliable methods worth consideration.

Quote:
#3. Should I be using something to limit what frequencies either antenna is capable of picking up - I.E. confine the DB8 to channels over, say 30?
You and I are not likely to be able to afford the commercial grade equipment used in CATV head-ends. But you can be sure, the owner of a CATV head-end does not spend money without reason. It's common for a CATV operator to demodulate each signal source, analog or digital. Then they use the base-band video and audio to modulate a locally generated RF carrier which can be combined with the other RF signals in their system. This gives them comprehensive control over virtually all aspects of the signal.

Though CATV has displaced many, MATV operators still exist (apartment, hotel and hospital antenna systems for example). These systems don't have a large base of paying subscribers so they are usually limited to RF filtering techniques. Products from companies like tinlee.com may be pricey for you or I, but they can often provide the level of filtering needed to limit undesired signal from a second antenna.

In the consumer grade (price range) market, Channel Master has limited filter options. And there are some other methods: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882 & http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote