View Single Post
Old 29-Aug-2011, 11:36 PM   #48
Yaguy

RE: Distribution Amp

Thanks No static at all, and GroundUrMast

Wow CBC analogue 2 in Seattle. (It turns off Aug 31st.) CBUT '2' digital will switch from current UHF 58 to UHF 43 and power will go from 30.5kW to 103.3kW. I used to pick up KOMO 4 analogue with snow pretty much all the time in West Vancouver and it was more clear in the summer. It's strange because Canada, in our digital transition, has entered into agreements with the US that our OTA signals won't be anywhere near the power of some in the US. An effort to minimize signal spillover. In some cases, people who can't have an outdoor antenna in Vancouver might not be able to get all the local channels if they use an indoor antenna. The following shows the current allotted and pending channels: digital and analogue.

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...ations/BC.html

I've not had any luck with digital tropo, so I was going to see if tyring the distribution amp worked at all in keeping the signal 'up a bit'. But with digital it might be a little tricky and hopefully the noise of the distribution amp won't be too high, because that's something that Radio Shack never listed in the past.
An odd thing is that having the antenna on the chimney, 40' above ground, has not helped in any noticeable gain improvement, as opposed to previously having it 20' off the ground by my back porch.
But back then it was mainly for VHF. UHF might be different. I'd prefer not to have it on the chimney, as it's more difficult to get up there and I don't like the coax on the asphalt shingles (though it is on the northwest side of the house). It has stood up well, but the brown, flat 3-wire rotator cable looks a bit like a snake losing its skin.

Last edited by Yaguy; 29-Aug-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Yaguy is offline   Reply With Quote