View Single Post
Old 14-Jun-2019, 12:50 PM   #34
jrgagne99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMinNJ View Post
a.) So if I were to put this little antenna higher on the eave it may be better?
Not necessarily. I encountered a similar situation before finding my eventual antenna solution. I had been hunting all over the roof for reception of a particular channel that my report said should be there. I could not find it on the roof. One day by dumb luck, I found a hot spot for it right in front of my garage door at 5 ft AGL. Moving the antenna left/right or up/down by 2 or more feet would totally lose the signal. One of the senior forum members called it a "ground bounce" as I recall. Constructive interference from the signal arriving from two or more different angles at precisely the same time.

Quote:
Or would that introduce more noise from other signals .
More noise from other signals (co-channel or adjacent channel) is possible, but I think it is more likely that you will no longer be in an area of constructive interference due to the signal refracting around obstacles in the signal path.

Quote:
b.) Weather and atmosphere give the illusion that things are working well?
Yes, that's a tricky one too. For marginal signals, I think it takes 1-2 weeks of regular observations over varied weather conditions before you can be confident in the validity of your antenna location.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote