View Single Post
Old 25-Jul-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
stvcmty

How many TV’s do you want to use? A single TV with an antenna on a rotor is much simpler and less expensive than multiple TV’s/DVR’s/HTPC’s with filters to merge signals from multiple markets.

If you want distant market channels, a c-band dish or ku-band dish would be used to get FTA satellite signals. That is very different from ATSC OTA TV, it would need a FTA satellite set top box to tune. People on the forum at http://www.satelliteguys.us/ could help you. The problem with FTA is there is no guarantee any signal will stay on the same satellite or stay unscrambled.

If you want the C***-DT stations and the W***-DT stations, I think your best bet would be two separate antenna systems.

All the US stations on your plot are UHF, so any of the high gain UHF antennas would work (DB8e, CM 4228, 91XG). Put the US station UHF antenna as high as safely possible. If you put it on a rotor, you can fine tune the aim from the ground. You would want a low noise preamp, possibly a PA18 (or a KT200 in a weather proof enclosure). I think you are far enough from your closest stations for a low noise fringe amp to not overload. Aim the antenna around between 126 and 133 degrees true. The rotor would be helpful to find the exact best place to aim it for the US stations.

The Canadian stations are a bit spread out. Some of the ones off the main group are strong enough they would probably be picked up by the US antenna or by an antenna for the Canadian stations. You could use a VHF/UHF antenna for the Canadian stations, or you could use separate antennas for them. I would lean to separate because that gives more mounting flexibility. Starting with the VHF stations, if you want CFTO on RF9 and CKCO on RF 13, I would get 2 Y10-7-13’s. I would get a CH13 jointenna from http://www.channelmasterstore.com/JO..._p/cm-0583.htm Then put the antenna pointed at CKCO on RF 13 into CH13 input and the antenna pointed at CFTO on RF9 into the broadband input. That should give you an incredibly solid signal for two VHF stations from different directions. The VHF signals should be the most forgiving, so they can go the lowest on the tower, below UHF antennas. For the Canadian UHF stations, pick a good UHF antenna (DB8e for example) and point it at 96 degrees true. It should go next highest on the tower after the US UHF antenna. I would use a TVPRAMP1R to merge the CH9/13 feed from the jointenna with the signal from the Canadian UHF antenna.

For a separate two antenna systems solution, do not try to merge the US coax with the Canadian coax. Either have an AB coax switch at the TV, or use some sort of external tuner for one system and the TV’s built in tuner for the other system. (The one exception to that being VHF. All the US stations are UHF, so you could split the Canadian system after the power inserter, send one side to your viewing device(s), and the other to the V terminal on a UVSJ. Then take the US system’s output from the power inserter and feed it into the U terminal on the UVSJ. The combined terminal on the UVSJ will have the US UHF stations with the Canadian VHF stations.

If you really want to merge the Canadian and US channels properly, you will need a heterodyne processor for every station you want to put on the same coax. A single digital heterodyne processor would blow your $700.

Last edited by stvcmty; 25-Jul-2014 at 1:02 PM. Reason: Grammar
stvcmty is offline   Reply With Quote