Thread: In the Sticks
View Single Post
Old 15-Sep-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBean View Post
Thanks, Tim! Yeah, you can tell I'm a newb. UHF, VHF ... d'Oh!

Can either of you recommend a preamp for such a mix? I saw a Channel Master that also had an
FM switch I may benefit from because of my FM antenna literally next to the spot I'm putting
these. Or will that screw things up?

Stephanie, OUCH! Don't lose sleep over lil' ol' us!
Well, I'm not part of the industry, just an amateur that picks up a few pointers here and there, understands a little physics, and has a passing interest in radio. So I'm reluctant to recommend any products.

Plus, I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe you should read what I posted again. I am not recommending that you try and mix the signal from two UHF antennas. Or a VHF-UHF antenna, the HBU33, and a UHF only antenna like the DB8e.

You cannot mix two different UHF signals from different antennae and be certain of what will happen. At least, that is my understanding. Might work ... chances are good that it won't. The two signals may coexist, or they may clobber each other - they may add, or they may cancel, or one may add noise and no signal to the other. It all depends on the reception environment and the placement of the antennae. Hard to predict that.

Wrt the FM filter, I think you miss the point. The FM antenna beng near the TV antenna will only matter if they are so close that the antennae electrically couple. More than a few feet of separation and they will not. If they couple, the sensitivity of both antennae will drop.

Normally these preamps will have an FM filter so that strong local FM radio signals do not overwhelm the preamp simply by their relative amplitude. FM radio covers part of the spectrum between VHF-low TV and VHF-high TV, so the preamp will filter the FM signals out of the signal before the signal is amplified.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote