Thread: Antenna Newbie
View Single Post
Old 8-Apr-2011, 1:58 PM   #24
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmguy7 View Post
1.) Can pictures be posted here?
Yes. You can attach files to post if they are under 500kB and less than 1024x1024 resolution.

If you use links to an external photo web site, that works too. However, if your post is detected as possible spam, it may take a little while for the moderators to approve the post.

Quote:
2.) In keeping the antenna and mast away from power lines; does that include an insulated line going into the house?
Avoiding electrocution is the number one concern.

A secondary concern is antenna performance. You don't want the radiation pattern of your antenna to be anywhere near obstructions and metal objects, including power lines. Objects too close to the antenna can alter its performance.

High voltage lines and transformers should be avoided at greater distances since they can give off interference.

Quote:
3.) Can a roof top 10 ft. mast not be guy wired?
It depends on the wind-resistance and weight of your antenna. I think it should work fine for a single mid-size antenna or multiple light-weight antennas as long as you have a solid mount. Just keep in mind that the stress on the mast and mount is proportional to the square of the distance from the mount point.

If using masts longer than 10 feet, I would recommend guy wires for sure.

For tornado- or hurricane-prone areas, of course, you'll need to be as short as possible.

Quote:
5.) I have some sort of Comm-scope Tri-shield rg6 (model #: F677TSVV) UL CATV 18 AWG. Is this good?
This cable is fine and has some good specs. Just note that this cable is probably a bit stiff. You'll need to limit the bend radius to avoid kinks in the cable. Do not put any sharp bends in the cable since this can interfere with proper signal propagation.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote