View Single Post
Old 4-Aug-2012, 2:01 PM   #4
Dan4328

Thanks very much on the detailed information you provided, and yes it is the antenna you linked in the forum, the suburban antenna. I'll see what I can do with getting that Antennas Direct preamplifier you mentioned. I got the antenna in a spot where no electricity is running too near to it or in front of it, and no cars are in it's path besides a street a mile in front of where the antenna's pointing (It does get congested with traffic every morning for rush hour but I think it's too far away to matter much) and our roof doesn't get much signal loss, so that's good for me, and it's away from the AC source so electricity won't be doing much damage to it.

To reply to your dBi and dBd's differences, does this mean that my old 10.4 dBi gain antenna would receive signals in -8.34 dBd conditions at best? And would that mean a clear picture, or enough for an amplifier to pull in?

We'll consider doing an outside installation but it would be on the side of our house and only up to 10 feet high (which is a good height for signal, nonetheless) so I can adjust, and if needed, switch out antennas because they are both compatible with the same type of rod/mast.

The only issue with grounding is that I have no experience on how to do it, I even left my old antenna outside (Not mounted, on a tether ball pole on the side of the house) for a few months without grounding and not knowing I even needed to ground it and it worked fine during thunderstorms or rain. It must've been safe because at least there were trees over 80 feet high up that were better off being struck than an antenna on the ground. I'll do grounding wire and stuff if we do an outdoor installation because now with a new antenna we can start over.

EDIT- Should I point my antenna towards 135 degrees or towards 128 degrees? 128 Degrees has most stations on it.

Last edited by Dan4328; 4-Aug-2012 at 2:19 PM. Reason: Added question
Dan4328 is offline   Reply With Quote