View Single Post
Old 25-Jan-2017, 5:03 PM   #33
dustyz

Ok, I've finally found time to work on this setup again. I've been talking with ADTech about it via email, but figured I'd get more eyes on the problem. I'm sure he appreciates that. ;-)

I'm going to clear up a few things first, then share some info I've collected.

Here is the accurate TVFool report, with the adjusted 32ft elevation for the DB8e:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a40f8dc0b42b

Here is the FMFool report:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...ktwUVk5UnUzU00

My Antenna layout and setup:

Notice the panels/elements are off broadside about 10 degrees each, and should probably be closer to 15-20 each, but...

The spread for the DB8e @ 0 degrees:

The spread for the DB8e @ 15 degrees:

I have 4 cell towers within 10 miles. Number one is only 1.2 miles away, but just north of us @ 6 degrees. Numbers 2, 3, and 4 are all in the 240-280 degree range.

As we've discussed before, I've always had trouble getting what I though I should with the DB8e. Last summer I disconnected one panel on the DB8e, bypassed the combiner, and effectively made a DB4e to test. I received more channels than I ever though I could. It worked great for a while, but when the leaves fell over the winter, I lost nearly all channels.

I recently connected the DB8e back up, as I thought it should be. The setup linked above is how it's currently configured, and Channel 7(28) will occasionally show up on the TV... nothing else. Assuming overpowering, and per the recommendation of this place & ADTech, I added a splitter between the pre-amp and the DB8e, knocking the input signal an additional 3db. Here is a 24-1000Mhz RTLSDR scan from that:

So, I've effectively started over. I try to run two tests a night, lowering the tower to make tweaks. I've made scans prior to the surge protector, and although they show gains on a few channels, not enough to warrant the overall loss.

Based on the information above, what do you all think I should try next? Or, better yet, what tests would help identify the problem?

Thanks, I know there's a lot of information. I appreciate the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antenna Config (Small).jpg (39.7 KB, 1409 views)
File Type: jpg DB8e 15 off.jpg (51.2 KB, 1345 views)
File Type: png Scan 24.0-1000.0MHz - DB8e - 2-1 Splitter Attenuator - ChannelMaster - At TV - 288-308 (Small).png (45.6 KB, 1310 views)
File Type: gif Channels.gif (15.6 KB, 996 views)
File Type: gif DB8e 0 off.fw.gif (24.8 KB, 1252 views)
dustyz is offline   Reply With Quote