View Single Post
Old 18-Sep-2016, 8:00 PM   #2
Jake V

You have two possibilities for ABC, WGGB real channel 40 at 41 degrees on a compass and WTNH real channel 10 at 195 degrees. Since most of your stations are between 122 and 163 degrees, and it is likely that you pointed the flat side to about 140-150 degrees.

Neither the Mohu 60 nor the Mohu 50 Leaf antennas are designed for VHF, so it is not a surprise that if you aimed the flat side of either to about 140 degrees that you would not receive WTNH. The Mohu antennas are not the best at gathering signals. They do OK when the UHF signals are strong (and sometimes will pick up very strong VHF signals).

I see two starting possibilities:

1. Starting assumption is that you already mounted the MOHU on the roof and you can't or don't want to return it. The first thing I would try is to point the flat side to exactly 195 degrees and see if you can attempt to get WTNH. If not try pointing the flat side to WGGB, UHF 40 at 41 degrees. Your other locals are pretty strong and I think you might receive them just fine. At any rate, it's a very easy experiment to try. If you lose any of the the stations in green you can re-aim the flat panel antenna to about 140 degrees (back to where you have it now) and add a VHF antenna (described below), aiming it at WTNH at 195 degrees on a compass.

2. But if you've returned it all you have a number of new possibilities. I'd probably go with a two antenna solution, one for VHF (ABC-WTNH-10) and a UHF for everything else. For ABC you could go with Stellar Labs VHF-Hi HDTV 174 - 230MHz ($24.99 at that link but might be cheaper elsewhere) aimed to 182 degrees on a compass and something like the Stellar Labs HDTV 30 Mile Bowtie Television Antenna ($13.99 at the link) aimed to about 142 degrees on a compass. [I do not know their return policy).]

You can also go to your local Walmart and pick up an RCA ANT-751 and try it. I'd start by aiming it at 195 degrees and then move it slowly towards about 142 degrees to see how it works. If that doesn't get you ABC WTNH you can re-aim to 41 degrees to try for WGGB real channel 40 and then see if the rest come in (but this option has a lesser chance of success) But make sure you can return it (you can usually get it with a mast for under $50).

There are other possibilities but I think they would get the channels you want inexpensively.

An additional assumption is that you have clear line of sight in the directions of the signals (i.e., no buildings or trees). If you do, you may want to post a picture.

Others will post, so I'd wait a few days to see what recommendations they have before purchasing anything.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote