View Single Post
Old 24-Apr-2015, 6:57 PM   #7
stvcmty

If you don’t mind using multiple antennas, there are ways to combine them to get signals from different directions on the same coax.

If you just want specific sub channels from other markets and don’t mind standard definition images, in my opinion, the easiest thing to do is add them to your main direction with converter boxes. So for example in your case point your main antenna south west. Then point a 2nd antenna at WSYT and connect just (a) converter box(s) to that antenna. Use converter boxes that have a set of RCA composite video/analog audio outputs. Feed that (those) analog outputs into analog modulator(s) set to open channels (the 60’s are wide open if you use a low pass filter) that is combined with the feed from your main antenna. Doing this results in SD analog channels on numbers different from their broadcast station in your house.

If you want to grab an entire ATSC signal from a secondary market and add it to your main signal, I have had good luck with analog heterodyne processors available from cable head ends on ebay. A heterodyne moves a signal from one frequency to another. So I have almost nothing in the VHF low range near me. I have a bunch of signals from DC and Baltimore, but there are some stations to the north. So I use a heterodyne for each station from the north and move them from their UHF broadcast channel to a VHF-low frequency for distribution in my house. With virtual channels stations end up where they should when channel surfing. Using an analog heterodyne for a digital signal is not optimal. It works for me, but a lot of care went into getting clean signals into the heterodynes. Cable headend equipment has very hot outputs, so I use pads on the outputs. I have a HDHR that I used to the signal strengths close using the adjustment knob on the heterodynes. I put my moved channels on VHF-low so I can use a HLSJ to inject them into the system. (some heterodyne processors on ebay have fixed input and output channels, unless you were really lucky they would probably not work. The best ones to use are the adjustable ones. Cable 14 is not the same as OTA 14, so it is important to make sure the switches are set for UHF and not cable.)
stvcmty is offline   Reply With Quote