View Single Post
Old 8-Aug-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Quinn

artsy tower mount vs attic

(sixth try posting this - if it tells me I'm not logged in again, I am going to lose it...)

I think I am a great candidate to cut the cable. All major stations are in same direction (64-77 degrees azimuth) with good strength and under 10 miles LOS.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe514bb42a07

Couple issues though. I tried an interior cheap one and it brought in most stations, but placing the antenna was a problem and we have 2 TVs. Not keen on a roof mount: new roof and it would be on the street side of this contemporary ranch so not a good look. Chimney mount is out because the chimney is integral. No gable option because roof is all hipped. There is a huge empty attic, no metal there, BUT no attic on the north-northeast side of the house because ceilings are vaulted there. Is it a deal breaker for signals to have to pass across the great room to get to the attic?

A wacky alternative that just might work involves 2 skylight towers that rise up through the roof in the center of the house. One side of each tower happens to face north-northeast, the direction I need. Is there an unobtrusive antenna I could mount to the wood siding on the further back tower? Or more boldly, something kinda sculptural I could mount to the front side of the very prominent north-northeast tower right above the front entry?

(We have a metal sculpture in the yard and another mounted to the side of the house, so this just might work in an odd artsy way...)

Are there antennae suitable for mounting to a vertical face? And is my situation one where it makes sense to try this?
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote