View Single Post
Old 11-Oct-2015, 9:57 PM   #9
NashNet

Thank you, Rabbit, for the meticulous and clear response and your sage advice. Yes, I did start from the green lines on the map. The responses to your question re:the attic are in the attached picture. I'll steer clear of the duct. It will be to the right of the antenna placement - I'm assuming that proximity is ok as long as it's not in the path of the signal. I'm going to have to go with an in-attic installation. Yes, I'll test the config out first before nailing everything down.

I like the iterative approach. It's prudent and a good learning experience for me. Hopefully, I'll be better equipped in every which way when we eventually get a home next year. I'll wait for ADTech and others to add their thoughts before deciding on the antenna(s).

From what I understand so far--thanks also to MikeBear and ADTech--, it's best to go in this serial fashion (along with the add-on Antenna Direct dipole for H-VHF, preamp, UVSJ, splitter, FM filter as needed):

1. (a). DB4e + VHF dipole
2. DB8 + VHF dipole
3. DB8 + ClearStream 5

Also, what would you folks think of these alternatives in place of #1 (a) as a starting point?

(b). ClearStream 2V (CS2 + the VHF dipole integrated)
(c). Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB
(d). Xtreme Signal HDB8X-NI 8-Bay or the 4-Bay version + either VHF dipole or the Stellar Labs VHF 30-2475 suggested by MikeBear?

Couple of other questions:
1. Is it best to locate the splitter near the antenna (south of the UVSJ) and take two long cables to the respective TVs (50' and 60') approx? Or, put the splitter near the 1st TV (upstairs BR) - about 50' from the antennaand drive the other cable 15' straight below?
2.If I do use the FM filter, where should I place it? After UVSJ?

Thank you!

Last edited by NashNet; 11-Oct-2015 at 11:36 PM.
NashNet is offline   Reply With Quote