View Single Post
Old 23-Aug-2016, 7:44 PM   #1
NCMike

Help reaching two different markets

Hello all,

First let me say thanks to the members that monitor this forum and provide guidance. I have been reading/searching the forums for the past 3 weeks trying to learn as much as I can and there seems to be a handful of dedicated members always willing to help. THANK YOU!

I am basically starting from scratch building my OTA antenna system. Assume I have no equipment so I will be purchasing everything new, hopefully from Amazon(gotta justify that prime membership).

I plan on utilizing multiple HDHomeRun Connects to send my OTA tv signals to apple TV 4s setup at each tv in the house. My house is already hardwired with CAT6 to each TV. I already have a Mohu Sky connected to a HDHomeRun Connect and am able to view some channels using this setup. The Mohu sky will be returned as it was an impulse buy and the company is local to me so its no problem returning it. Also want to add that I do not want a rotor. I plan on using an app for OTA channels, sling tv app, netflix, hulu, etc.. on the apple TV4 for all our viewing. A rotor would not be wife approved.

Here is my TVFool report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb2a6be10b83

I would like to be able to view the Raleigh Market AND the Greenville/New Bern market and pick up ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox from both areas. I only need one of the PBS stations. This may seem weird but college sports vary greatly depending on location and we own vacation property at the beach and would like to watch the local news there during tropical storms/hurricanes/severe weather.

I have chatted with Antennas Direct on their website and they have recommended a solution with all Antennas Direct products but I wanted to see if anyone had anything else to offer. AD suggested a DB8e with one panel pointed toward 305 degrees and the other panel pointed between 115 & 131 degrees. This I agree with and think may work for picking up UHF channels in both markets. They also suggested a Clearstream 5 pointed between 115 and 131 to pick up the VHF channels in the Greenville/New Bern market and just hope that between the two antennas that channel 11 from Raleigh will be picked up either from the DB8E because its so strong or that the Clearsteam 5 will pick it up from the backside. They also recommended their juice vhf/uhf amp and their vhf/uhf antenna combiner both of which I think are needed and I am fine with.

So does anyone have any other suggestions or guidance that will get me what I want? My biggest concern is with the VHF channels, I wonder if there is a better antenna suited for this. As far as mounting goes, I live in the middle of a 16 acre field and tallest peak on my house is around 40ft. Trees should not be a problem. Thanks and looking forward to your feedback!
NCMike is offline   Reply With Quote