Thread: Antenna Newbie
View Single Post
Old 11-Mar-2011, 5:21 AM   #1
dsmguy7

Antenna Newbie

Hello everyone. I post on a few other gun and flashlight forums and have heard how good you guys are. I am sick and tired of paying outrageous directv bills (and only watching 5 channels) and have decided to try over the air and streaming netflix and other such programs through either a roku or blue ray player. I am brand new, so please take it easy on me. I am going to list my current situation, report, and my current idea of a future set up. Feel free to constructively criticize or add new ideas.

TVFOOL report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...597912d2aa14a4

I believe that I did this right, but let me know.

My house was built in 2001 and the first owner was supposedly a home theater expert and wired every room with at least one (sometimes two) cable jacks. He supposedly used "cat5" cable. I am not sure on the splitters, but there are two lines coming into my home. I have 2 tvs (one is like 20 years old and only has a RF input and the other is like 7 years old and has RF, RCA, and component inputs). The two tvs are hooked to directtv boxes which in turn are hooked through the cable to the satellite on the roof.

My idea is to add an antenna (I know attic would be easier and look better, but I am more concerned about performance.) outside on a mast (as high as needed). I don't want to mount anything to the roof and hate guy wires. So according to some plans I found here, I was going to dig a hole 2 ft.^3 and fill it with concrete to mount the mast and then mount a bracket on the eave. This would be on the rear of my home for looks and convenient access to the cable box without being too close to power lines. Now, I have a hip style roof and the only two gables are on the front. So, the bracket will only be about 8-10 ft. off of the ground. I was going to choose a telescoping mast for ease of maintenance. From what I've read a Winegard HD7697P or HD 7698P would work well, but I want the best which is why I am asking you guys. I am not sure about preamps or distribution amps. I know that I will need converter boxes for the two tvs. My house is at the bottom of a 5 ft. hill and the houses behind me (the direction I believe that the antenna will be pointed in) are therefore setting 5 ft. higher. I haven't measured but my single story roof is about 15 ft. at the peak. There is also a privacy fence and trees behind me. There is a large water tower and an airport near by. I am hoping a 30 ft. or smaller mast will work. There is an alternative antenna sight behind a shed which is on the hill. The old owner ran cable to the shed but I'm not sure of the condition it is in; plus it is about 75 ft. from my house. I only have two tvs now but may add up to 2 tvs later.

Questions:

1.) How hard is all of this? I am pretty mechanically inclined and believe that I can do it.

2.) Can I get away with an attic mounted antenna or do I need an outside one?

3.) Which antenna?

4.) Can I use the house wiring?

5.) Should I use the existing splitter and add terminations or just get a 2 way splitter for now and get a larger one later if I add tvs?

6.) How expensive are field strength meters and are they necessary to find a good signal? Is it worth paying to have someone "probe" my yard?

7.) If I have to use the other antenna site should I trust the old wiring? It is ran underground and the idiot directtv guy cut off the ends of the cable at the box and the core is rusting.

8.) Pre amps / distribution amps needed?

9.) A few stations seem to be strong in my area. If I use a pre amp will the strong stations cause problems?

10.) From what I can tell I can get most of my stations from the mobile, gulf shores, and pensacola stations. Is there any reason to try to get the Mississippi stations? CBS is CBS right? So will I need a rotor?

11.) Do you guys give advice about media players and such?

12.) Which mast and how tall?

I'm sorry for so long of a post. I am very OCD about doing things and I want this to be right. I am trying to save money, but I don't mind paying for quality. Please let me know if you need any more info. Thank you in advance.

Brantley
dsmguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote