View Single Post
Old 26-Aug-2018, 9:44 PM   #92
Dagwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Digital equipment is harder to fix than analog, but it doesn’t fail as often. That makes it less likely that a failed part is kept around as a spare. It also means that the maintenance staff is smaller and tends to be more specialized.

In the case of WXXI the failure was on the tower. The station does not have a climber on staff. The climber they hired came from Syracuse. (Alpha Antenna Service) I don’t know what failure they found nor if the failed part happened to be available. I did learn that the WXXI tower suffers from a vortex problem, meaning that it oscillates in the wind. That causes mechanical stress on the antenna and transmission line.

I am a retired TV engineer who also did a bit of tower climbing and antenna troubleshooting. Like Joe, I grew up in WNY and still root for the Bills.
Thanks, very interesting stuff! I don't know where else I could learn all this, but am glad to build up my knowledge from this site.

Where in WNY did you grow up? I'm from Webster (outside of Rochester) originally, and have been "down in a holler" between Honeoye and Canandaigua Lakes for the past 36 years.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote