View Single Post
Old 13-Sep-2018, 6:45 PM   #1
BrooklinOTA

Help with reception in south Ajax

Hi Everyone,

Well I ended up moving and I'm in an interesting spot for OTA reception. This house is about 1000 feet from lake Ontario but it is in a heavily treed area. Here are the details for my setup:

- I'm using an Antennas Direct DB8e. It is mounted about 30 feet in the air and pointed about 175 degrees magnetic.

- I have about a 75 foot coax run from the antenna into a Channel Master distribution amp in the basement. The amp is the 4 port model, CM-3414.

Here is my TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038b49f8b2436

I'm getting the Buffalo stations really well. I've had some very rare breakup with NBC (real channel 33), but all the other american channels are coming in quite nicely.

My problem is with the Canadian channels. As the antenna is pointed almost 75 degrees off from the signals coming from the CN tower in Toronto, my reception of Canadian TV is flaky. I am getting real channels 20 and 9 easily but the rest are unreliable.

Here are what I think are my options:

1. I could point one part of the DB8e toward the American cluster (175 magnetic) and then the other part of the antenna toward the CN tower (247 magnetic). That would definitely give me the Canadian channels but might compromise my reception of the American ones.

2. I could try installing a preamp like the TVPRAMP1R and see if that helps amplify the Canadian channels better while I'm still having both elements pointed at 175 degrees magnetic. As I have a 75 foot coax run from the antenna to distro amp, I'm hoping this would help to overcome the loss from that length of cable.

Any thoughts?
BrooklinOTA is offline   Reply With Quote