View Single Post
Old 9-Oct-2010, 2:03 PM   #14
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
was wondering about putting one of the Clearstream UHF antennas with a basic rabbit ears.
The C1 (and the rest of the ClearStream UHF antennas) has limited VHF reception capability via feedline radiation. It will generally work okay in strong signal areas but usually requires a VHF-specific dipole for predictable reception of VHF channels. Should a VHF dipole (rabbit ears) be needed, combine it to the UHF antenna using a UHF-VHF diplexer. Suitable devices include our EU385CF UHF/VHF Combiner, the Radio Shack 15-2586, or the UVSJ from either Holland Electronics or Pico-Macom/Tru-Spec. Lay the dipole elements so they are horizontal and adjust the tip-to-tip length of the dipoles to between 26 and 31 inches. Rotate the dipole so that the elements are broadside to the direction that the signals come from.

The C5 is a bit large for practical indoor use at 20"x24"x12' unless you have adequate room to spare. As far as UHF performance is concerned, see the Tech Data Sheet (under Documents) on the C5's individual product page. I generally characterize it as most closely performing like as an "omni" on UHF and often suggest it for situations that include short to medium range UHF from multiple directions.

I have done extensive field testing of the C5 in the St Louis area, an all UHF market. In fact, the only antenna mounted on the roof of our new building is a C5 pointed at Jefferson City and it provides complete reception of all the St Louis stations.

ADTech

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote