View Single Post
Old 21-Aug-2016, 7:58 PM   #7
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Hmmm.. didn't realize about the UHF vs VHF performance in antennas - someone recommended the directional antenna (HDB4X) to me when I was having issues with the omnidirectional antenna; now it sounds like I might need to return not just 1 but 2 antennas :-D
The HDB4X is good for ABC, but not optimum other 3.

You only need two antennas if you want to keep the HDB4X UHF antenna for ABC, and add a second antenna for NBC, CBS, and Fox on VHF. If you want just one antenna for all four channels, you need a UHF/VHF combo antenna like the Winegard HD7694P or the RCA ANT751. The RCA has a smaller form factor, but it doesn't have as much gain which might be needed because of the trees I see to the SE.
Quote:
The powered amplifier sits inside our garage attic,
Can you tell me the make, model and specs for it?

Thanks for the photos. The signal strength shown for 8.1 might be misleading if the amp is needed to compensate for the VHF deficiency of the antenna.

It looks like your UHF antenna is on a satellite mount. Hopefully your installer grounded the mount and grounded the coax with a grounding block. which is important in your area with so many storms.
Quote:
When you say "try it first" - try what first? I was wondering if you were referring to the grounding for the coaxial cable, or something else?
I meant try a new antenna on the same mount before you add a 5 ft extension.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote