View Single Post
Old 30-Apr-2014, 5:56 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Your option #1 is better than option #2. Without being able to see the existing connection for the phone & cable, it sounds like an ideal grounding point for the antenna system

My summary on antenna system grounding is here, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901, see post #20 in particular.

Though the NEC and similar codes permit some portion of the grounding conductor to be run in or through the building, I avoid it if at all possible. Why would I intentionally lead fault current into or through my home?

The mast ground should be separate and distinct from the coax ground. This allows the mast ground to be as long as necessary and allows the coax ground to be kept as short as practical. And, by treating them as independent grounding connections, you prevent a fault current in one from causing fault current in the other... Consider the scenario where power or lightning sourced fault current is in contact with the mast, but not the coax... Separate ground connections keep the voltage on the coax portion of your antenna system near the same level as the rest of the grounded parts of your electrical system throughout your home. If the mast and coax are connected together at any point before the connection to the electrical service ground, a fault to the mast would elevate the coax voltage... Just how much would depend on the magnitude of the fault and the resistance between the common point and the electrical service ground connection.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 30-Apr-2014 at 6:04 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote