Thread: OTA in Rural KY
View Single Post
Old 3-Feb-2013, 6:25 PM   #1
dustyz

OTA in Rural KY

Report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda673092b55d

It’s ugly, I know. I live in a rural area. But, I’m optimistic. The ranges are wide, and the signals come from multiple directions.

I’m a DirecTV’er, but want to go 100% OTA for some local channels, if possible. Currently, I have the classic coat hanger homemade bowtie antenna in the attic, aimed 5-10° off north thru aluminum siding on the eve, with large ducts adjacent to it, with 1960’s original coax going thru a few splitters, a Wal-mart brand pre-amp, hitting a HDHomerun that distributes a few channels thru WiFi. It works for a few channels, WDRB being the priority. Here are the channels I pick up with that setup, and the strength & quality of each (multiples denote different sub-channels from the same number, same signal):

13 WBKO 71% STRENGTH 52% SIGNAL QUALITY
13 WBKO
13 WBKO
43 WKZT 67% 51%
43 WKZT
43 WKZT
47 WAVE 65% 56%
49 WDRB 71% 59%
49 WDRB

Strangely enough, this setup does pretty good. The channels cut out occasionally, but that’s on a very poor configuration. We use it daily for morning news on the iPad, using the InstaTV app.

I want to move to OTA 100% now. That means upgrading a lot of things to increase signal quality and hopefully pick up several more channels. Here’s the goal. I have a TiVo premiere I’d like to bring the antenna setup straight to. The more channels, the better. No splitters, one TV. I’ll run new RG-6 coax for that. I’m thinking (2) new roof mounted DB4 or 4221HD bowtie type’s, putting me at 15ft roughly. One will be pointed @ 30-40° off north to grab the priority channels, while the other will be aimed @ little over 180° to add to the totals. Maybe a pre-amp combiner to bring the signals together? I might be able to get @ 30ft on an empty pole in the yard, but that will push me a good 120’+ from the TV versus 35’, adding some line resistance. I’d rather stick to the roof mount. I’m elevated quite a bit above my surroundings. Just getting the antenna out of the attic and away from the obstructions will probably do wonders.

Looking at the report, it seems impractical... but with my current setup, I can’t help but be optimistic. Everything is old, rigged, or homemade, and it does ok. Upgrades can only make it better, right?

Am I going about this the right way? The right antenna config, coax, etc? Should I stick with the amp, or leave it out until I test it? Grounding. Can I just run #10 gauge copper to the existing house grounding system? Thanks in advance!
dustyz is offline   Reply With Quote