View Single Post
Old 24-Jan-2010, 1:00 AM   #1
sbrock

Reception in Iowa

Hello,

I am looking into dropping cable in favor of OTA. I am tired of cables poor reception and high prices (I can probably get more channels with OTA and not pay the monthly fee).

My house currently has a Roof Mounted antenna that looks a lot like either the RCA one from WalMart or an Anntenacraft ccs1243. The mast is probably 15 feet tall with rotator (although I have no controller for the rotator and it is no longer hooked up) and due to a recent ice storm have lost two of the longest elements on it.

I am going to just give it a try with a borrowed converter box (when my wife first bought this house three years ago she didnt pay for cable and used the antenna which did work surprisingly well). If I am not getting the results I want I was looking at replacing the antenna (since I don't know anything about the existing one) and possibly getting a new rotator if needed. I was looking at the Antennacraft ccs1843 or the HD1800 but really wasn't sure what the best antenna to buy is. Both Antennacraft and Winegard are made in my home town so I would like to support them. I also wasnt sure about preamps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my location:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c72319d21caa52

Thank you in advance. There seems to be lots of good info here.
sbrock is offline   Reply With Quote