View Single Post
Old 11-Jun-2011, 5:47 PM   #17
gossamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
JC's recommendation of the HD7082P is a premium solution, not overkill, but appropriate if you want to see the lower powered stations, particularly those using 'real' low-VHF channel assignments.

If you have a gable style roof, you can avoid the use of a tripod by choosing a Wall Mount. I am reluctant to put holes in my roof too. If a tripod is the best option for you, be sure to use a Pitch Pad Kit and appropriate amounts of roofing cement. Depending on your roof type, you may want to ask someone in the roofing business.
Awesome, thanks. The wall mount is a much better option and also something that will work for me.

I think the HD7082P looks like a good choice. It appears the antenna purchase doesn't generally include the mast, correct? It only includes the hardware to mount it to a mast?

It looks like this one includes a sufficient mast with the mounting kit for the side of the house for the HD7082P antenna?

http://www.3starinc.com/ron-104_delu...t_bracket.html

How do I determine the diameter mast that I need? The specs in the listing for the antenna doesn't seem to indicate that.

Quote:
You have quite a lot of signal to work with, so much in fact, that many amplifiers would be expected to overload. The distant, weak signals would require extreme measures such as much larger antennas and possibly a high tower... and then you would still be facing problems of co-channel and adjacent channel interference. If you have an interest in DX reception, I would think you would want to consider a separate antenna system for local vs. DX.
Okay, understood, and recall some of that from explanations by my father when I was a kid. I don't understand DX, however. Where can I find more information about that?

Is that medium wave radio, like AM?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MW_DX

How about grounding? How do I account for that?

Thanks,
Dave
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote