View Single Post
Old 4-Apr-2011, 6:15 AM   #8
ag19

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
Half power beam width is the beam width of the antenna , the angle from the center line of the length of the antenna that antenna ability to receive a signal drops to half. .
John Candle:

Thanks for your reply and time you took to help. Yes, I now see that it is a half power beam width and not a half distance widths. Unfortunately because I have only one channel in the middle of the span, it looks like I'll be using half power signals on both ends to pick up all my channels. I read on the internet that some people call the half power beam widths the 3db beam widths. You lose 3db signal or half power if you are picking up your channels at the beam widths. Luckily, the channels that I want do look like they have good enough NB values and maybe they will not be blocked by hills or buildings, etc.

I'm planning to put antenna in the ground 2 feet and placed at the top edge of the gable of my house with two or three clamps in solid wood structure.

With all of my many questions, yes I am trying to grasp some of the material to better understand tvfool printouts and the antenna situation. Thanks for the links for more information.

I'm now looking closely using the Winegard HD-7082P as a starting point (81.99 at solidsignal).

Considering the advice of hdtvantennalabs.com of selecting a antenna that is 1 grade above what is usually needed to safeguard the time and money spent on putting up a antenna especially if you happen to be in a dead spot, etc - it looks like I can get a HD7084P for $7.00 more which will give me a average uhf gain of 13 instead of 12 while beam width and FB are about the same. The HD7084P is rated 45 miles uhf where the HD7082P is 35 miles uhf. Thanks again for your reply.
ag19 is offline   Reply With Quote