View Single Post
Old 10-Mar-2011, 4:05 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

I've read several end user reviews that mentioned 'high' temperature after extended running... I don't have a list of STB models and their operating temps.

A few STB's incorporated a feature 'Smart Antenna'... or some similar name. The feature was supposed to allow the receiver to control antenna directional gain. I know of no currently available antennas that actually support this feature. If an STB is sinking power (to power and control an antenna) into the coax, it would theoretically run warmer by some small amount. The common balun/matching transformer at the antenna would appear as a short to power applied to the center conductor of the coax... if all of the splitters were of the power passing design. A lot of what if's.

That you have more signal after replacing a splitter, is more significant to me. It implies that the old part was defective or the wrong type. Satellite parts can easily be mistaken as OTA / CATV parts.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 10-Mar-2011 at 4:30 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote