View Single Post
Old 10-Jan-2016, 2:51 PM   #3
shoman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
The PA18 is probably overloading from nearby FM stations. Other than that, it appears to be an appropriate amp for your situation. You need an FM filter or two, not a stronger amp.

Call any remaining Radio Shack stores in your area and ask them if they have any FM filters still on hand, catalog number 1500321 (15-0321). You have to call, the item is not on their website. The filter must be installed between the antenna and the amp and you'll need a short jumper cable to do that.

If you strike out with RS and don't mind a bit of a wait, fill out the contact form on our website (https://www.antennasdirect.com/custo...p-service.html) with your information and I'll get a filter and cable mailed out to you for free.

FYI, I tested that amp from Best Buy a while back. Its noise figure is so bad (> 7 dB) that there is no reason for the product to even exist, certainly not for antenna signals. It's really not a 4 dB amp, it's a 12 dB amp with an integral 4 port splitter (~8 dB insertion loss). I haven't tested the RCA amp shown, but it's probably a 15-18 dB gain amp with the same type of splitter and corresponding insertion loss.

Yes, as long as you don't make the common mistake of installing a non-power passing splitter between the preamp and its power inserter. If your cabling layout requires the splitter to be installed in that cabling segment, a power-pass splitter must be used.
I'll be calling at 11am when they open.....
Is this basically the same filter? http://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-Rad...ywords=fm+trap
It's a different number than you mentioned.

From my antenna to the splitter in the house is about 35 feet then each run is 35 feet or less from there.

So in your opinion I'm better off to use an FM trap,the PA-18 and a passive 4 way splitter vs no FM trap,no preamp and a better splitter amplifier?

EDIT: I called RS and the 1500321 is an amplifier... So I'm assuming that you meant to use the part number I linked above. P/N-1500024.

My local RS has a few in stock at 1.97 on clearance! I'll buy a few in case something happens to it...lol

Last edited by shoman94; 10-Jan-2016 at 3:17 PM.
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote