View Single Post
Old 24-Dec-2015, 4:25 PM   #3
Ryan Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
The issue is either on of an unfortunate antenna location (obstructed path, a reflection, or too close to some other object, usually metallic) or other electrical/electronic interference.

Try moving the antenna and try again. The "other interference" is far more difficult to identify and resolve.
Interesting... since my signal analysis stated I should be able to pick up the major networks with indoor rabbit ears I thought an outside antenna would ensure I'd get the networks.

Potential interference sources are... large diameter oak trees that I cannot get above, my antenna is about 10 feet above the power and phone lines that go from the pole to my house, and my antenna coax runs parallel and 6 inches away from the power cable (routed in conduit down the side of the house) and 6 inches away from the phone line (used for internet).

I was hoping it would be as simple as switching to a bowtie antenna, switching to a different shielded coaxial cable, or pointing my existing antenna at 34 deg (instead of 15 deg.). Would any of these items help with interference? I'd prefer to use my existing antenna unless a different antenna mounted in the same location as my current antenna would definitely help.

Another couple questions...
1) As you see from my signal analysis, many stations are in the same direction as KMSP, why is only KMSP impacted?
2) I could mount the antenna either strapped to my chimney or further away from the power lines. When does coax length become a problem? I mounted the antenna where I did because it was directly above where Comcast initially tied into the house and the location would minimize the coax run.
Ryan Van is offline   Reply With Quote