View Single Post
Old 6-Sep-2015, 2:34 PM   #19
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thanks for the photos.
Quote:
I also added a preamp I found at Menards and removed the Amazon amp.
What preamp did you get? Is it near the antenna or down at the lower end of the coax?
Quote:
Doing a check with the Tivo I still got all the Louisville except one AND the displayed signal strength went from 55-60 to 70 or above.
As of 10:19 tonight, WRTV, WTHR, WFYI, WNDY, WTTK, WHMB, and WXIN from Indy all coming in solid.
That sounds like a big improvement to me.
Quote:
My plan is still to move it to the top of the but if I put the original short J pole on there will the roof affect reception from the north?
I'm not sure which way is north after looking at the photos. Which direction does the side of the house in the third photo face? Without knowing that, my answer is if the present location isn't affected, then the planned location will not be affected.
Quote:
On a side note, some of my neighbors have old OTA antennas on 30-40 foot towers that have probably been there since the 70's. I'm a bit jealous.
Ah, yes: I see towers in photo 2.

The coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

Attached Images
File Type: gif NEC Grounding.gif (16.5 KB, 2441 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 6-Sep-2015 at 2:43 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote