View Single Post
Old 28-Jan-2015, 11:06 PM   #10
PhilS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
I'd agree with other posters that your problem is interference. Yet I doubt FM overload as there is no FM station that will have a second harmonic on channel 12. I also doubt electrical interference as WRGB on channel 6 would be the first one to be bothered. I'd suspect a computer, amplified FM antenna, battery charger or some other unrelated device. Moving the antenna to the roof is likely to fix it due to stronger TV signals plus weaker interference. The other option is to turn off all circuit breakers in your house except for the one to the TV set. Then unplug everything but the TV set and preamp and see if WNYT comes in. If it works, turn things on one at a time until you discover the culprit.

Another possibility is a bad preamp. You may not even need the preamp in Red Hook unless you are splitting to many TV sets.
Thanks for the suggestion - I couldn't think of anything that was different one the one day that it worked, but I'll try your circuit-breaker idea, and see what happens. One thought I did have: The 50' coax that I'm running between the antenna and TV seems a bit thinner than some other coax I've handled. Could a problem like this be due to inferior coax cable shielding? (and to that end... would it be worth buying a "good" run of coax - whatever that is - and re-running the cable?)

I did find that the preamp seemed to help pull other fringe stations in, so I hope it's not that!

Last edited by PhilS; 29-Jan-2015 at 12:25 AM.
PhilS is offline   Reply With Quote