View Single Post
Old 27-Jan-2015, 2:19 AM   #1
PhilS

The Great Mystery of WNYT - Channel 12 (13.1) in the Hudson Valley

Greetings all, I'm in Red Hook, NY, and have an OTA conundrum. WNYT, our NBC affiliate, is nowhere to be found, though it should be on channel 12 (virtual 13.1). Here's my TV Fool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15958598a12a

Here's my Gear:
  • Antenna = Radio Shack VU90XR antenna (80" boom, 26 element)
  • Preamp = RCA TVPRAMP1R
  • Cable = 50' generic coax; no splitters anywhere.
  • Tuner = Built in LG 60PB5600

Here's the story: I have the big antenna up in my attic, aimed at ~352degrees. (Basic ply roofing, with asphalt shingles.) When I search for available channels on my TV, WNYT (channel 12, virtual 13.1) is not there AT ALL. I do receive 23.1 no problem - and according to the report - it should be less slightly worse reception than 13.1.

I'm flummoxed. I've tried three different tuners (my new LG TV, a standalone Samsung DTBH260F, and an iView 3500STBII) all with the same result. None can find the channel, and if I manually tune them to it, it says signal not found. If you look at the report, you'll see that lots of channels use the same transmitter location, and I get all of the other channels from that location with no problems whatsoever. (Once in a great while there will be a bit of digital noise on 23.1, but that's it.)

Here's the dedicated Transmitter Profile Detail on the channel: WNYT (Digital)
Channel: 12 (it's virtual channel 13.1; I don't know why that doesn't show up in the report.)
Network: NBC
Maximum ERP: 30.000 kW
Coordinates: 42.625355 -74.010128

Effective ERP: 30.000 kW (Adjusted according to your location)
Distance: 44.6 miles Azimuth: 352 degrees Compass: 5 degrees

There you have it... Please help! Why on earth doesn't WNYT (ch. 12, vir. 13.1) show up at all? Many, many thanks!

Here's the direct report:
PhilS is offline   Reply With Quote