View Single Post
Old 8-Jan-2015, 3:45 PM   #1
rickbb

Advise on combining 2 UHF antennas

Radar plot;

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15699c13a677

I realize that an A/B switch would be a better option reception wise, but the other person in the house will have a cow if I make her have to learn how to switch yet another input just to change channels.

The issue is going to be trees this spring. I get channels from 3 main directions. My current antenna is a roof mounted DIY McClapp DB4, no reflector aimed at 130T. I get good reception from all directions on calm days, high wind days do cause some drops on the VHF-HI channel 11 and the closer UHF stations from the 228T direction.

I have 2 large maple trees directly in front of the channels at 228T less than 20 feet from the antenna. Now with no leaves signal quality is good most of the time even being at 90 degrees from where my antenna is aimed. But I’m sure this spring I will lose them when the leaves come out.

I have 2 places where I can mount the antenna. If I move it to the other side of the roof I can clear the trees from 228T but start getting blocked from the 120T direction. Adding a taller mast to clear the trees would need to be 20 feet taller or more and need guy wires. This will also cause the aforementioned other person in the house to have the aforementioned cow.

I was thinking about making another bow tie with a reflector, and smaller like a DB2 and aiming it at the 228T direction. Would it being directional and smaller help reduce problems with trying to combine them?
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote