View Single Post
Old 30-Jan-2010, 1:17 AM   #1
Jeffb

Antenna Advice in Suburban Atlanta

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c72388eee1150a

I’m planning on dropping basic cable service in favor of OTA for our two TVs, so began researching antennas and wandered into TVFool a few days ago. You are really providing a great service. I have been reading through the forums and have learned a lot, but still have some questions about how to proceed.

I’m only interested in receiving the local Atlanta channels, primarily the 4 major networks plus the 2 PBS stations (all within the first 10 channels on the list). The transmitters are all within 25 miles. Am I a good candidate for an attic installation? We have a single story house with asphalt shingles. No tall buildings around. There are several fairly large trees next to my house, but the antenna will be below the canopy and aimed between the trunks. There is a grove of large hardwood trees on the same general azimuth but approx. 200 yards away.

If I understand the difference between the “real” and “virtual” channels, our ABC and FOX channels were VHF when broadcasting in analog (channels 2 & 5) but switched to UHF channels for the digital changeover (39 & 27 respectively). That leaves 2 of my desired channels in the VHF band (8 & 10), so I guess that means I need a combination VHF/UHF antenna.

All of my desired channels are within 8 degrees of azimuth (301 - 309 magnetic), except channel 8 (336 degrees), but that is also the closest transmitter at 16 miles. I’m guessing I would not need a rotor, but how best to aim the antenna?

All of my desired channels show a line-of-sight path, which is self-explanatory, except channel 8 which is listed as single edge diffraction. I have no idea what that means or how it might affect reception. Please explain, as this is our most-watched channel.

My inclination is to buy an antenna and try it in the attic first. This would have the advantage of being almost directly above both TVs, resulting in very short coax runs. If reception is unacceptable, I would consider moving the antenna outside using a ground-mounted mast and installing it where the existing cable enters the house. This would allow me to use the existing building cables and grounding wire. It would also keep me off the roof which would make my wife happy!

So that’s my situation. Any advice on which antenna to buy and how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
Jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote