View Single Post
Old 13-Apr-2014, 2:11 AM   #26
dmfdmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwag32 View Post
problem is it was working before I added a splitter. The splitter is after the preamp and power.. could that make that big a difference?
So you split the signal to a second TV or for input to a DVR or other media device and it knocked out a weak station?

Yes, splitters cut the signal at least 50%-60% and probably pushed the Fox signal below acceptable levels. Does the splitter you used list the loss per leg in dB? Typical values are -3.4dB, -3.7dB, -4.0dB, etc. which corresponds to 54.3%, 57.3% and 60.2% loss. If the splitter doesn't list the loss then you have to assume its not a very efficient splitter. I'd buy a splitter that explicitly states its loss as -3.4 dB per leg (that is the best I have seen).

That might be enough to get your signal back up but if it doesn't work you'll need to find and remove additional losses in your system such as using coax couplers to join cables (-0.5 dB loss) or replacing RG59 cable with RG6 cable, etc. You could also re-aim your antenna and you should definitely re-zero your TV tuner and rescan.
dmfdmf is offline   Reply With Quote