View Single Post
Old 25-Sep-2013, 5:02 PM   #1
protivakid

Properly grounding my mast

I have a 2ft J shaped mast holding up my small antenna on the highest point of my house. There are many trees taller than this antenna around my house but want to properly ground. I had rigged up what I thought was a proper way to ground the small mast but want to correct my setup.

I read the info from http://www.starkelectronic.com/cmig8.htm and have some questions. I have two ground rods that are inside my basement along the wall where the electricity & cable comes in. My antenna is on the roof ~30 ft above these ground rods.

I have some bare #8 aluminum wire that I planned on running from the mast, down the side of the house, inside the house, and down to the grounding rod. I was then going to use another short piece of #8 aluminum wire and run it from a coax grounding block outside of the house, to the inside of the house, and down to the grounding rod again.

Does this setup make sense or am I horribly off? Also I know copper is better than aluminum but the site I referenced above says to use either and I already have the aluminum. Will it make a huge difference to use copper wire instead? If so what type of wire should I use and where is the best place to get it?
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote