View Single Post
Old 19-Mar-2013, 3:08 PM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by crinde View Post
What is the advantage of vertically stacking two DB4e over the DB8e which is basically horizontally stacking two DB4e? How long of a pole do I need to stack two DB4e vertically, because I may need to buy a longer pole for the top of the tower.

If I stack the two DB4e over the old VHF antenna which I am considering aiming North towards CKY-DT in Ste. Agathe/Ritchot, MB (not listed in TVFool) will it interfere with UHF antenna, because I am definitely more interested in the US stations and don't want to hurt my chances with them.
The advantage in the vertical stack is that you maintain the higher beam width of the 4-bay while flattening the aperture in the vertical axis to increase gain. The horizontal stack of any 8-bay antenna squeezes the pattern horizontally and makes it more directional from left-to-right. Using an 8-bay in this situation will probably mean more of a compromise because, if aiming between the two incoming signal sources, they would then BOTH be outside the most useful reception aperture. You have a 40° spread in your UHF signals while the -3 dB beam width of most 8-bay antennas is going to be between 15 and 30°, depending on the specific channel (and the specific antenna).

You'd likely need 8-10' of usable mast. The two DB4e antennas will take up about 5' at the top. Allow a couple of feet separation between the bottom antenna and your large VHF antenna. Combine the two antennas with a UVSJ and feed that into the pre-amplifier.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote