View Single Post
Old 17-Mar-2013, 3:51 PM   #1
crinde

Help with reception in NE North Dakota

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddafce574be95

To save money my dad has canceled cable and I am trying to help him get more then the 2 channels (WDAZ, KNRR) he can now get with rabbit ears. There is an old VHF only antenna that has not been hooked up for almost twenty years on a tower on the roof of his two story home, and used to get in the analog days WDAZ, KNRR, KVLY, KXJB, KGFE. Now only WDAZ and KNRR are VHF and the others moved UHF when they went digital. Looking at this situation do you think hooking up again the old VHF antenna and adding a large UHF antenna below it like the Antennas Direct DB8e or Antennas Direct 91XG or Winegard HD9095P would give him a chance at regaining those now UHF stations, or is it a lost cause? Anything else we can try?

Is the 23 degree separation of the UHF stations enough that the slightly more aiming friendly panel antenna DB8e is worth the extra cost over a directional antenna like the 91XG or HD 9095P?

If I do go with the DB8e am I better off keeping the two sections parallel and aiming between the two stations or toeing them out ten degrees with a panel aimed at each transmitter?

What is a good amplifier for this application combining the VHF and UHF antennas, boosting the weak signals and not overloading the two powerful VHF signals?

How critical is the spacing between the two antennas, my pole is long enough that I should be able to get three feet between the old VHF and a directional UHF, but a tall panel like the DB8e will be getting rather close to the old VHF antenna.

Thanks for your help!
crinde is offline   Reply With Quote