View Single Post
Old 8-Oct-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
kb2fzq

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfanrc View Post
So now I'm starting to get a little frustrated. I'm still getting quite a bit of pixelation on channel 7. Turning off the computer and powered speakers (my subwoofer) as has been suggested has not made any difference. I haven't tried lowering the antenna to see if the signal increases but I plan to this weekend. Can someone tell me if the pixelation has anything to do with the fact that the signal on channel 7 is in the 60's while it's 85-100 on the other channels? Or is it more likely to be from interference of some kind? If there's interference from public service radio as kb2fzq suggested is there anything I can do to fix this. I'm running out of ideas and since we watch mostly ABC (channel 7) my wife is quickly loosing patience with my idea to cut the cord form the cable company. Any additional suggestions are much appreciated.
OK, let me answer the last question first...KGO 7 is only running 28.3 kilowatts of power, which IS normal for a VHF station, compared to the UHF stations very likely running much higher power, whereby your antenna/tuner will have a better signal quality on UHF(85-100% signal strength)....
My suggestion right off would be to adjust the antenna direction while watching channel 7's signal strength on the TV meter and getting the direction with the highest signal...a GPS or compass is only for general direction to the transmitter, fine tuning the direction of the antnna may be necessary in your case....it may be a PITA to communicate from antenna to TV, but is worth the shot...an addition of a rotor may be necessary...
Secondly, you didn't mention if your downlead coax is new or old, 75 or 300 ohm cable, the length of the cable and how many TV's you are running off the antenna, or if you have any splitters in the line....any or all of these could cause your issues with VHF....
Lastly, IF you are getting public service interference, you need to know who it is...that will take some investigation...
I had a similar pix problems here, I "assumed" it was interference from a cell tower a 1/4 mile from me...I put ferrite chokes on all my phase cables, and the problem disappeared, so there may be hope if it is a P.S. issue, but some answers to above would help to diagnose if it's you or someone else....
And additionally, I have a station 9 miles from me, channel 31-1, if I point at 204 degrees (albany, ny stations) , I will get a 60% SS, then it will drop out and back again, if I point right at the tower (234 degrees) I get a 90% SS, no drop outs...that little bit off could be your problem....tell the wife...be patient, we'll fix it...

Last edited by kb2fzq; 8-Oct-2010 at 12:18 PM.
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote