View Single Post
Old 26-Apr-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
scanpennett

Chicago Condo Directv to OTH Ant

We live on the 1st floor/basement (duplex down) in a 5 story condo building. With only 20 units we are allowed to have our own dish/cable provider we wish. Currently we have a Directv HD Dish on the roof (5 stories up) with cables that drop the hight of the building to our basement and 2 HD TVs in our home. I recently cancelled our Directv service in hopes of using only our streaming media player and a digial antenna. I tried the Muhu Leaf Plus 3 feet from a window with a southern exposure but I cannot receive ABC and NBC is iffy. We are 1 1/2 miles from downtown and most of the buildings around us are no taller than 3-5 stories. Here is our analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fcfb6c1f61a4a

I would like to use our existing dish wiring and mount an outdoor antenna. My questions are: 1. Is there a chance I'll get ABC given my analysis 2. I don't really have a way to "ground" an outdoor antenna - is this an increased lighning risk over a dish 3. The directv "box" in the basement that all of the wires are routed through - what do I need to put in place of this.

If this is doable - should I get an installer since I have very little knowledge in this subject area?

Last edited by scanpennett; 26-Apr-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: additional info
scanpennett is offline   Reply With Quote