View Single Post
Old 14-Mar-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
golfnut72

newbie antenna help

I'm hoping you folks can give me some recommendations on selecting the best antenna and (if necessary) any amplifiers that I can use to receive OTA HDTV channels.

My location map is: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86ef6ea242f4

I plan to put the antenna in an attic approx 24' above ground. The home is wood frame with vinyl siding, paper-backed insulation, and Tyvec house wrap. My location has an unobstructed view of the southern horizon (there's a DirecTV satellite dish below where I intend to place the indoor antenna).

My thought was to run the coax from the antenna into the garage and connect to the existing house cable wiring, as I know I lose 0.5 dB of signal with each connection.

I would prefer an outside antenna except that my area regularly experiences high winds (there's always a constant breeze that ranges from mild to violent).

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm so tired of DirecTV - not just the outrageous cost, but also not being able to access local channels.

P.S. To Electron: you have great posts - thanks for taking the time in the forums to help newbies like me.
golfnut72 is offline   Reply With Quote